Balloon sinuplasty is a safe, effective, minimally invasive surgery that alleviates the pain and pressure associated with allergies or sinusitis. It is designed to treat patients who aren’t reacting well to medications including antibiotics, nasal steroids, or over‐the‐counter (OTC) drugs, and who are seeking relief from intolerable and painful allergy or sinusitis symptoms.
The best part is that the balloon sinuplasty surgery can be done in-office at the Glatz Group of Valley ENT.
Today your certified McAllen physician assistant, Jonathan Lerma, and his sinus relief specialist team will list the benefits that come from having balloon sinuplasty in-office (BSPIO).
How the Balloon Sinuplasty Procedure Works
Unlike traditional sinus surgery, this procedure involves no cutting, or removal of bone or tissue.
The procedure involves a small, flexible, balloon catheter that opens up blocked sinus passages, helping to drain built-up mucus. When the sinus balloon inflates, it restructures and widens the walls of the sinus, opening them while maintaining the immobility of the sinus lining.
Balloon sinuplasty is now available to eligible patients as a procedure performed in our McAllen, Weslaco, or Harlingen office, and does not require general anesthesia. Jonathan Lerma and his right-hand team of sinus relief specialists will help determine the best option for you.
Sometimes a patient may have a combination of chronic sinusitis, septal deviations, turbinate hypertrophy, and Eustachian tube dysfunction. All of these problems can be treated with an in-office balloon sinuplasty procedure, helping to avoid the need for future treatment.
Benefits of Having the In-Office Operation
- Local Anesthesia: Balloon sinuplasty in-office is an alternative for patients who decline or are not eligible for general anesthesia.
- Quick Recovery: While recovery time differs for each patient, the majority of patients who undergo the in-office procedure can resume normal activities and work within 2 days.
- Comfortable Surroundings: Experience the procedure in the comfort of your physician’s office rather than a hospital operating room.
- High Patient Satisfaction: Most patients who had balloon sinuplasty in-office recommend the procedure to family and friends.
- Potential for Significant Cost Savings: Certain eligible patients may have lower out-of-pocket costs if the procedure is conducted in a lower cost of care setting, like a physician’s office.
Determining If Balloon Sinuplasty Is Right for You
The questions below can be used to help determine whether balloon sinuplasty is the right choice for you. If you appear to be a candidate, we recommend you make an appointment for evaluation and treatment. This can be addressed through telemedicine to ensure your safety and well-being.
Do you feel any of the following symptoms? Checking them off may mean you are a candidate for the procedure:
- Facial pain
- Facial pressure
- Sinus headaches
- Discharge of yellow or green mucus from the nose
- Decreased sense of smell
Most insurance companies and Medicare cover balloon sinuplasty. Our staff will be ‘Glatz’ to provide detailed information based on your insurance to guide you through this aspect of the procedure.
Kiss Your Allergy and Sinus Issues Goodbye With the Glatz Group of Valley ENT
Because of COVID-19, the safety of our staff and patients will continue to be our top priority. We offer the option to have your symptoms addressed online thanks to our telemedicine services or via phone.
If you are in need of an in-office procedure, we can set that up accordingly.